Monday 8 July 2013

George Herbert Lawrence - Hathersage 5th July 2013

For the first time in my life, I was invited to a presentation, or to be more precise, the unveiling of a plaque that was to remember and honour a person that gave so much to the community.

His name was Geoge Lawrence and details of his life and work can be found on my web-site. The Ceremony occurred last Friday and for once the weather was glorious.

The unvieling of the plaque was a fitting tribute to George's works, and as Brian Ward who wrote an excellent biography of George remarked, the title of  "forgotten philanthropist" may now have to be revised.

I was also given the opportunity to meet descendents of George and Elsie, and that was a most enjoyable and enlightening experience for me. It helped me to appreciate just how important George was to both his family and the community.









No comments:

Post a Comment