Tuesday 29 November 2016

Gunner Henry Brown No 1422222 Royal Artillery - died 14th February 1942 Beighton Sheffield

I have just received this information from a reader of the site who kindly gave me this information about his great uncle Gunner Henry Brown who was a fatality in the Beighton Rail Crash in February 1942

"Please find attached a photo of my Grandfather's brother's War grave in Harton Cemetery South Shields. He was a victim of the Beighton Rail crash and noting the date of his death may help you reconcile the numbers lost and when. I'm sorry I have no further information."

This is from the CWGC database

Name: BROWN, HENRY
Rank: Gunner Service No:1422222
Date of Death:14/02/1942 Age:41
Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery
Grave Reference: Sec. 9. Grave 8087. Cemetery: SOUTH SHIELDS (HARTON) CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Brown, of South Shields; husband of Dorothy Brown, of South Shields.


The interesting point to note is that unlike the other fatalities who have been identified to date, Henry did not die on either 11/12th February 1942. He died two days later on the 14th which seems to indicate that he survived the actual crash but died from the injuries he received. 

If anyone can supply me with any additional information on Henry, please contact me and I will forward it onto his geat nephew 

No comments:

Post a Comment