This photograph was taken circa 1908 and shows the side of the Medical and Surgical Home which was on the corner of Clarkehouse Road and Southbourne Road in Sheffield
Built around 1856 as The Victoria Park Hotel and Bowling Green it lay opposite the Botanical Gardens It was opened about 1858 or 1859, and the only landlord the place had was Mr. John Law, landscape gardener, formerly the curator of the Botanical Gardens, and who published a few local items dealing with botany and the gardens. This would have be a nice retreat from the town, with possible visits to the nearby gardens
But it only lasted until 1862 when it became a private residence and was named "Rutledge Hall" It was the home of steel manufacturer Samuel Osborn .
In 1893 Sister Emily Mawhood converted it into a nursing home.
Miss Emily Mawhood Private Nursing home 76 & 78 Clarkehouse Road (White's 1919)
Miss Emily Mawhood Matron, Sister Mawhood's Nursing Home Ltd. 76 & 78 Clarkehouse Road (Kelly's 1925)
Sister Mawhood Nursing home 76 & 78 Clarkehouse Road (Kelly's 1925)
Further information see Graves "Charitable Trust Official Opening of Rutledge House" 22nd Feb 1952 by Alfred Graves. Ref: Local Pamphlets Vol. 191 No.9 042 S. '.