It is based on an report that appeared in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent dated Saturday 30th May 1896.
I have disagreed with the verdict but one of the more interesting parts of the report is that it was initially thought that the poisoning was due to the consumption of tinned lobster by the deceased. I was not aware that tinned lobster was available in Crookes in the late nineteenth century never mind eaten!
The other point is that that they produced the tin at the inquest at the Royal Hospital six days after it had been opened. It appears that the smell was over-powering for want of a better word!