Wednesday 28 May 2014

An Elephant on a Pub Roof

I was way on holiday last week in North Norfolk. We have been going there for over 25 years and for what it is worth it is one of the best places in the country, But I'm not sure whether I could live there on a permanent basis. I have lived in a city all my life and so I'm not sure if village life would suit me

But even in North Norfolk you can be surprised. The is a pub on the quayside at Wells next the Sea called The Golden Fleece. It is an old pub which for years served the local fishing community. But recently it has been "gentrified" and re-positioned as more of a gastro-pub for tourists than a pub serving the community.

But on the roof of the pub to the rear of the premises, the owners have positioned an elephant. But not content with that, they have painted a montage of flighty young women on the side of the elephant. The effect is stunning. My first impression was one of stunned surprise at the tackiness of it all. But after a while I began to laugh which can't be bad 


 But why did they put an elephant on the roof when the pub's name is the Golden Fleece, surely a sheep would have been more appropriate!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment