Wednesday 15 December 2010

Only a Pauper

A few years ago I posted on my website, an article on the"revolting proceedings in a Sheffield Burial Ground"


After reflecting on the previous post - wooden crosses in Burngreave Cemtery - I remembered that I had an article that appeared in the newspaper at the same time as the report on the "revolting proceedings". Dated the 23rd April 1865 it was reported in Lloyds Weekly News and concerned the death from pneumonia of a MARY HILL in Somerset.

I did not place it on my site as there was no "Sheffield Connection" but I doubt if I would have anyway - it is instructive in the way that the poor were treated in the C19th by the "authorities", a treatment that seems to have lasted well into the C20th. I should warn you the article is quite gruesome in its description of Mary Hill's body

    A more disgusting spectacle would be hard to imagine!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment