Tuesday 13 December 2016

The descendents of James Welch VC - Stratfield Saye and Sheffield

Last week I received this e-mail from the Parish Clerk of Stratfield Saye Parish Council. Stratfield Saye is the home village of Lance Corporal James Welch VC who was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions on 29 April 1917 near Oppy, France. James was not from Sheffield but spent most of his working life in the city

Dear Chris
I have just looked at your web page & found a lot of information about Mr Welch.

I am the Parish Clerk of Stratfield Saye and next year we are receiving the commemorative paving stone to place in the Parish.

I am well into arranging the commemorative service with much help from the Rifles at Salisbury as it is something that need s to be done appropriately to honour his award.

While I have a nephew still living here unfortunately it was a large family that got split up somewhat when a mother dies so he has no knowledge of his cousins – the children of James & Daisy – living in Sheffield area.  I believe they are now also dead but there must be direct descendants – grandchildren – and I am desperately trying to find to invite them if possible to the service in the Parish for the unveiling of the commemorative stone & am not at all sure how to go about it – one married name I have been given is Salt & I have already got it wrong as I was told Ilkeston NOT Ecclesall!!!

I am not sure if you can help at all perhaps give me the contact for the offices holding registers which I could contact. From your page I am not sure what it means after the children’s names B 9c 933, 895, 780 739 & 687.

Any help you can provide would be gratefully received.

Thank you
Penny
 Penny Mayo
Parish Clerk - Stratfield Saye Parish Council   01189332379 ( mobiles are useless here!!)

I replied to Penny and gave her a few avenues that may prove fruitful. But if anyone reading this article knows of any descendents of James and his wife Daisy please let me know. The event is planned for 29th April 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment