Monday 27 December 2021

Women's Screams Cost Man's Life - Sheffield October 1928

 I came across this report in The Manchester Guardian dated 31st October 1928 quite a few years back

On the face of it it looks as though it would be worth an article on the website. But there is a major problem - there is a total dearth of information in the report - there are no names, no locations, no identifying features: absolutely nothing beyond the fact that the inquest was held in Sheffield on 30th October 1928 and that the victim was a Corporation employee.

I tried the British Newspaper Archive for the period in question and there were no reports at all. Well none that I could locate.

And it got me to think whether or not this incident ever happened. It has all the hallmarks of a spoof or prank  probably initiated by some reporter(s) who were short on copy at the time of publication. Apart from the lack of information I doubt if a Coroner would use the phrases at the foot of the report.

I may be incorrect in my assumption - if so please let me know




2 comments:

  1. Hi, there is a report in the Sheffield Independent and one in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph (both 31.10.28) of the inquest on a chap called Barker, conducted by a Deputy Coroner - I found them by using the searchword mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Thanks ever so much for taking the time and trouble to find the reference - never though of "mouse! as a search term! I have obtained the articles and will post to the site

    ReplyDelete