Tuesday 26 September 2023

John Nicholson (1864 - 1932) - Secretary of Sheffield United Football Club

Quite a few years ago I posted an article to the site that featured John Nicholson who was the secretary of Sheffield United Football from 1899 to 1932 and oversaw some of the most successful times in the clubs history 

In September 2023 I was contacted by a reader of this article who provided me with a fascinating update

" I have been reading your article about Nicholson in regards to his career with Sheffield United and the aftermath of his death. 

I have restored his grave which was crowdfunded by Sheffield United supporters through the group I have called "Sheffield United Preservation Society" which aims to protect the heritage of the club and the greats. Would you be able to assist with any of his ancestors as I saw that you had been contact by them?

I have attached the photos of the grave before and after. I shall look forward to hearing from you, Danny"

I contacted Danny and he kindly forwarded me the following information 


"My name is Danny, I’m part of massive Sheffield United family and loves the research along the way. I am the individual who is created Sheffield United Preservation Society which aim is to preserve the heritage of the football club via different variations. Ensuring former players will get recognised and featured on posts which will allow people to become educated about the club's history.

Nowadays it’s really hard to reach out to the younger generation these days due to technology especially! This way, this will allow the younger generation to know our heroes that laid the foundations of the club that we love today. This addiction started 127 years ago with me great father coming over in 1896 and leaving not a short way from Bramall Lane on Club Garden Road.

I always believe you should know where you come from. This is all started during COVID finding out about my ancestors that I have never heard of. 

My father, John Garrett is the curator of the Legends of The Lane at Bramall Lane in which I’ve grown around the club and grew to know the history of the club. My Dad has been trying for almost 20 years to restore former players grave various supporter's groups but sadly this has been unsuccessful. 

It made me realise, all these people with an unbelievable CV with medals, caps and success at the club were getting forgotten about.

Recently, I have restored Ernest Needham’s grave as well as John Nicholson’s grave. Roughly it costs £60-£80 depending on the state of the grave.

These are including:

-Memorial pot
-QR Code
- Pebbles & slates
-Cleaning products
-image of the individual 

A Facebook page will be created to allow this to happen so if anyone wishes to donate to this cause and be part of this project it will greatly appreciate.

Danny Garrett
Sheffield United Preservation Society"  

Danny also kindly sent two photographs of John's grave - before and after the restoration and refurbishment. Truly a fitting tribute to one of the most important people in the history of Sheffield United Football Club.







As a footnote I would like readers of this blog to visit the Find a Grave website. If you leave a flower on John's page this will then allow it be to become recognised on the site and become a ‘famous’ grave. I think John and his family deserves it.




No comments:

Post a Comment